Prof. Daniel Mugendi Njiru Profile
Name: PROF. DANIEL MUGENDI, PhD
School: SCHOOL OF AGRICULTURE
Area of Specialization: Crop Science, Agroforestry, Soil Science
Contact Address: P.O. Box 65022-00618, Ruaraka-Nairobi
Google Scholar Account - Link
Prof. Daniel Mugendi Njiru is a renowned scholar, researcher, consultant and higher education administrator. He has made significant contributions in the area of agro-ecosystems research and management as well as the development of University education in Kenya.
Currently, Prof. Mugendi is the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Embu. In addition, he also holds a number of positions, among them; The Chairman, Board of Management, Kirege Secondary School in Chuka, Tharaka Nithi County, Board member of Bible Translation and Literacy (BTL) Ruiru Conference Centre,.
He began his professional career as a researcher with the Kenya Forestry Research Institute (KEFRI) before moving to Kenyatta University where he rose through the ranks of academic and professional leadership. He has previously served as the Chairman of the Department of Environmental Foundations - KU, Dean of the School of Environmental Studies and Human Sciences- KU and Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Finance, Planning and Development) at Kenyatta University.
He has conducted groundbreaking research focusing on agriculture, forestry and environmental policy and sustainability. In addition, he has worked extensively with communities, colleagues and partners, representing a diversity of forestry and environment sector interests both internationally and nationally.
As a scholar of international repute, Professor Mugendi has authored many chapters in books and published many scholarly articles in his field in both national and international journals and continues to lecture, supervise postgraduate students and conduct research in International Forestry Policies, Agriculture and Natural Resource Management.
- Best poster presented at the All Africa Crop Science Congress in Pretoria, South Africa in January 1997.
- Poster awarded 1st place in the "Environmental and Biological Sciences Poster Section" at the University of Florida Graduate Student Forum in March 1997 – Celebrating the diversity of graduate students.
- Finest overall poster presented at the University of Florida Graduate Student Forum in March 1997 - Celebrating the diversity of graduate students.
- Paper awarded 3rd place in the "Biological Sciences Paper Session" – UF Graduate Student Forum in March 1997 - Celebrating the diversity of graduate students.
- Ph.D. Dissertation awarded ‘The 1997 Outstanding Dissertation Award’ of the School of Forest Resources and Conservation, University of Florida, USA.
MEMBERSHIP TO PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS.
1. Member of the African Network (AfNet) of Tropical Soil Biology and Fertility Institute
2. Member of Soil Science Society of America
3. Member of Agronomy Society of America
4. Member of Crop Science Society of America
5. Member of Soil Science Society of Africa
6. Member of the Soil Science Society of East Africa
7. Member of the African Crop Science Society
8. Member of Nature Kenya
9. Member of the American Society of Agronomy, American Soil Science Society and American Crop Science Society
10. Member of the Soil and Water Conservation Society