Dr. Charles Andrew Nyambane Onyari
Name: Charles Andrew Nyambane Onyari
Title/Qualification: Dr. / Doctorate (PhD) in Agronomy
Position: Senior Lecturer and Director, University Examinations
Department: Water and Agricultural Resources Management / Directorate of University Examinations
Area of Specialization: Agronomy, Crop Production Modeling, Soil and Water Management, Agrometeorology, EIA/A Expert
Contact Address: P.O. Box 6 – 60100, EMBU
Trained agriculturist and teacher with background in agricultural engineering, agronomy (crop science), and postgraduate education. I am married with a family, sociable, a team player and focused on results.
My research interests are in crop growth/yield modeling, soil and water management, soil fertility, dryland farming, biometrics and environmental impact assessment/audit.
1990-1997: Secondary School Teacher (Nyamira). 1997-2000: Agriculture/Irrigation Officer (Mandera). 2000-2003: Technology Development/Testing Engineer (ATDC – Nakuru). 2003-2008: Deputy DAO/Extension Training Officer (Kirinyaga). 2008-2012: Principal Lecturer / HoD (EAST College, Embu. 2012-2013: Deputy Principal (KSA – Nyeri). 2013-2018: Assistant Lecturer (UoEm). 2018 – 2021: Lecturer (University of Embu, UoEm). 2022 – date: Senior Lecturer (UoEm)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Agronomy (Egerton University, 2018)
- Master of Science in Agronomy (Egerton University, 2007
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education (Kenyatta University, 1996)
- Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Engineering (Egerton University, 1990)
- Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education, KACE, A-Level (Meru Technical School, 1986)
- Kenya Certificate of Education, KCE, O-Level (St. Paul’s Gekano High School, 1984)
- Certificate of Primary Education, CPE (Metamaywa Primary School, 1980)
- Several professional and short courses attended including Senior Management Course (Kenya School of Government, KSoG, 2011) and Environmental Impact Assessment/Audit (Embu Agricultural Staff Training College, EASTC, 2012)
- Graduate Engineer, Institute of Engineers of Kenya (IEK) and Engineers’ Board of Kenya (EBK)
- Kenya Society of Agricultural Practitioners (KSAP)
Graduate Studies (Title of Thesis/Project)
- Doctoral Studies, PhD in Agronomy (2018): Effects of Irrigation and Nitrogen Fertilizer on Yield and Water Use Efficiency of Dryland Hybrid Maize (DK8031) in Embu County, Kenya
- Masters Studies, MSc in Agronomy (2007): Effects of Tillage Method and Sowing Time on Growth, Water Use and Yield of Chickpea (Cicer Arietinum L.) in Kenyan Dry Highlands.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education (1996): Gender Differential in Enrollment Between Boys and Girls in Secondary Schools: A Case Study of Metamaywa Secondary School