Prof. Gikuru Mwithiga Profile
Name: Gikuru Mwithiga
Department: Water and Agricultural Resource Management
Area of Specialization: Food Engineering and Agro-processing
Contact Address: P.O Box 2241 Embu
Google Scholar Account - Link
Professor Mwithiga has a BSc, MSc, and Ph.D. in Agricultural engineering. He has been a university lecturer since 1988 and has previously worked in Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, the University of Botswana and the University of KwaZulu-Natal. He has also supervised students at the undergraduate level as well as postgraduate level up to the post-doctoral level in diverse research areas of Bio-resource Engineering.
|1997||PhD Agric. And Food Engineering||Asian Institute of Technology|
|1993||MSc Food Process Engineering And Structures||University of Nairobi|
|1987||BSc Agricultural Engineering||University of Nairobi|
- Year of funding 2017 Granted KES. 13 million for research on essential oils by NRF (Kenya)
- Year of funding 2011 - Granted R942,000 (KES. 7.5 million) NRF (South Africa) THRIP research grant for research on wine maturation and storage
- Year of funding 2011 – Granted R382,000 (KES. 3.1 million) University of Kwa-Zulu Natal (UKZN) competitive research grants for research on infrared energy use in agriculture
- Year of funding 2010 – Granted R650,000 (about US$87,000) by UKZN Research Office to buy expensive equipment for Food Engineering research
- Year of funding 2007- Botswana Government funded project – US$ 52,000) Development of biomass harvesting and storage technology for Botswana (to run over a four year period).
Prof Mwithiga is interested in all food engineering areas of research. He is also interested in environmental aspects of agricultural production with specific reference to renewable energy and agricultural resources.
Publications in Journals:
Please visit the google account through the link https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=NECws5kAAAAJ&hl=en